Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 19 - Caroline Brossoit Remme

     My great aunt, Caroline M Brossoit was the third child of Alexander and Sophie (Trepanier) Brossoit.  She was born on March 19, 1886 in Argyle, Minnesota.  The 1920 census lists her as a single, 33 year old still living at home with her parents and 2 youngest brothers, Armand and (my grandfather) Omer.  Her occupation was a dressmaker from her home. 

     By the 1930 census she was married to Clarence Remme, who was 14 years her junior.  In the 1930 census she was a homemaker with a 3 month old daughter, Orella and husband, Clarence was a clerk in a cigar store.  I have not found many other records for Caroline.   

     What stories I was told was that she lost her leg to diabetes and had a wooden leg with a shoe attached.  My mother recalls that all of her life, she knew of the wooden leg so it may have happened soon after her marriage.  My only recollection was that after my great aunt's passing, the wooden leg, which was rather dark and primitive looking, was in the rafters of my grandfather's garage and we often made stories about it.

 Caroline passed away on October 7, 1966.

Happy 126th Birthday!


           

No comments:

Post a Comment